Tuesday 8 July 2014

bell hooks Quotes!

I have only read one of bell hooks's books (Feminism is For Everybody) but I loved her practical, down to earth style that she combines with what would be called (I guess??) radical feminism. 
All quotes come from Goodreads. And yes, 'bell hooks' is intentionally not capitalized, as that is how Ms. hooks spells it. 

"I will not have my life narrowed down. I will not bow down to somebody else's whim or to someone else's ignorance."
- bell hooks


"Love is a combination of care, commitment, knowledge, responsibility, respect and trust."

- bell hooks

"Feminism is for everybody."

- bell hooks (my favourite!) 

"No black woman writer in this culture can write "too much". Indeed, no woman writer can write "too much"...No woman has ever written enough"

- bell hooks

"Being oppressed means the absence of choices"

- bell hooks

"One of the most subversive institutions in the United States is the public library.."

- bell hooks (I love this one too!)

"There will be no mass-based feminist movement as long as feminist ideas are understood only by a well-educated few."

- bell hooks

Interested? If you want to read more of her work, maybe start with Feminism is For Everybody or Feminist Theory: From Margin to Center or Ain't I a Woman? Black Women and Feminism. Try your public library to find them!

Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment