Sunday 6 July 2014

Letters To Asylum Seekers and Reading Challenge Update

Hello!

If you're Australian too, you probably know just how terribly our government is treating asylum seekers and refugees. If you want to help, you could do this - write a letter to an asylum seeker! While I haven't done it yet, I plan to today. There are also plenty of protest meets and rallies to go to if you are in a major city; try The Refugee Action Coalition for more information. (http://www.refugeeaction.org.au/).

Have you read my earlier blog post about my women authors only reading challenge? If not, these are the rules: a) I record all the books that I read
         b) I only read books written by women
         c) I only read books that I can find for free or for under $5

These are the book titles of my next two reads:

The Silver Dark Sea - Susan Fletcher
I love this one! It's written very beautifully.

Louise Michel: Rebel Lives Series - I'm not sure of the author, but it's more of a compilation than a written account.
I cheated a little with this one - firstly, because I'm not entirely sure if a woman wrote it, and secondly because it was $8. There is a very cool anarchist/feminist bookshop a bus ride away and I found it there. It's a very interesting book, about a woman (commonly termed 'The Red Virgin') who was instrumental in setting up The Paris Commune that Marx and Engels often talk about.

Anyway, thanks for reading! And book suggestions, please leave them in the comments. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment